Opened in 1919 after General Mannerheim's 1918 order to create the first Finnish Air Force base. The base was built on the ridge between the Kouvola garrison and Luumäki and by 1926 had become the Home of Finnish Fighter Aviation. Played a central role in WWII. After the war, the Karelia Wing was based here until 1958.
The Finnish Air Force helicopter force moved here from Pori (EFPO) in 1962 and shared the base with the Transport Squadron between 1961 and 1996. As the result of a major defence review, the Air Force helicopters were passed across and integrated within the Army command structure during 1997.