Portland Heliport Portland, England
1917 to present
| Location: ||50 34 3.36 secs N - 2 26 57.84 secs W |
|1nm NW of Fortuneswell, Isle of Portland|
|ICAO: EGDP||IATA: || Elevation: 9 feet|
Built in 1917 by the Royal Navy as HMS Serepta within the confines of Portland Harbour. Seaplanes were originally operated from the bases slipways. In 1919, 241 Squadron was disbanded and aviation operations ceased. In 1946, Hoverfly R-4Bs moved in and the bases playing fields were taken over as a landing ground and became the site of the modern heliport, after building work and the main runway completed in early 1959. 815 Squadron flew its 12 Whirlwinds in from RNAS Eglinton on 14 Apr 1959 and RNAS Portland was formally commissioned as HMS Osprey on 24 Apr 1959. The base was gradually improved over the years and it has been the home of the small ships flight Wasp, Wessex and Lynx fleet and at one point, the slipway was used by hovercraft. As the base wound down, Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) moved to Plymouth and the Fleet Target Group moved to RNAS Culdrose. The Royal Navy closed HMS Osprey on 31 Mar 1999.
When HMS Osprey closed on 31 Mar 1999, the RN School of Helicopter Control moved to its new premises at HMS Heron (Yeovilton) and the Fleet Target Group moved to HMS Seahawk (Culdrose) and became 792 Squadron in Nov 2001.
Portland is also famous for having one of the shortest runways (04/22 at 229m) in England. The heliport remains available for the HM Coastguard SAR flight.
By Date | By Serial
| Flying a Helicopter | Accidents | Jobs |
37671 serials 8299 photos 2588 heliports
| Mobile: m.helis.com | Helis Airliners |
|MH-53M, MH-60R Gazelle HT.2 & HT.3|
| EH.101, NH.90, Tigre, Bell 430, AW.139 |
|Orgs.|| CV-22 Osprey, EC.145|
|Units:||HS-1, 78Sqd, USCG, PNA |
|Ships:||Destroyers, HMS Ark Royal |
|New:||Bell 525, AW.149, AW.609, S-61T |
| ||X2, X3, EC.130T2, EC.175 |
|US Army AAAS Ultralights |