Blackburne Airstrip was opened in 1957 with a dirt runway. It was paved in 1967 and became the main airport serving Montserrat. It was renamed W H Bramble Airport on 16 Mar 1997. The Airport was closed when the terminal building was destroyed on 25 Jun 1997 by volcanic debris from the Soufriere Hills Volcano, which had begun erupting in 1995. Volcanic activity has continued and in Feb 2010, most of the main runway was buried by a further eruption. The airport has been replaced by John A Osborne Airport
to the north of the island.