Established 13 Jun 1958 by acquisition of some airframes from the Station Flight, which had been using the Sycamore since Jun 1955. The Sycamore was replaced by the Whirlwind HAR.10 between Jan and 28 Mar 1964 and served on, until May 1967. Provided a SAR service until disbanded in Jun 1967, whence the Wessex (which had arrived in Nov 1966) were shipped to RAF Muharraq for its SAR Flight.
78 Squadron operated the first yellow painted SAR Wessex helicopters. They were delivered to Khormaksar in boxes, assembled locally but because of shortcomings in basic SAR equipment (winch hooks that opened unexpectedly, no water proof flooring etc) they were painted with distemper in camoflage colours and used up-country until the various problems were sorted out. Tail numbers were XT 601, 602, 603, 604 and they were the first RAF Wessex with folding tails.
|1958/67||Khormaksar / Aden International||OYAA|