Formed from 481, 482 & 483 RNAS
Flights in Italy in Aug 1918 but was disbanded that Dec. It saw Army support service in WWII from Oct 1939 at Odiham
when it formed from 614 Squadron, A Flight with Lysanders. It served in North Africa, Italy and France with Hurricanes and Mustangs before disbanding in Italy in Jan 1947.
On 1 Jan 1960, the Joint Helicopter Unit
was raised to squadron status and 225 Squadron took on its Sycamore HR.14 and Whirlwind HAR.2 at Andover. It moved back to Odiham in May 1960 and received its more powerful and capable Whirlwind HAR.10 in November 1961. It sent 4 of its Sycamores to Kenya (transported out and back by RAF Beverleys) the same month to assist in relief operations for the severe flooding experienced. It retired its Sycamores and Whirlwind HAR.2 by Feb 1962. The unit was sent to the Far East to assist in the Borneo campaign, first to Singapore (Seletar - WSSL) in Nov 1963 and on to Sarawak (Kuching - WBGG) in Dec, with various detachments (such as Simanggang
). It disbanded there on 1 Nov 1965, with airframes and personnel being reassigned between 103 Squadron
and 110 Squadron