Formed at RAF North Luffenham in Jan 1948 as a Transport Unit, until disbanded there in Apr 1951, to re-emerge as 242 OCU by amalgamation with 241 OCU. Its rotary wing story began on 29 Dec 1971 when it reformed from the short-lived Air Training Squadron, at RAF Odiham. It has used Wessex HC.2, Puma HC.1 and latterly the Chinook, before disbanding on 1 Oct 1993 to become 27(R) Squadron.
|1991||King Khaled Air Base||OERY|
|25-nov-90||15-mar-91||Operation Desert Shield/Storm|