Formed 15 Oct 1941 at RAF Valley as an Air-Sea Rescue unit with Walrus and Lysander fixed wing aircraft, it was disbanded at Harrowbeer, north of Plymouth on 15 Feb 1945. It reformed on 1 Mar 1953 at RAF Linton-on-Ouse, to become the first RAF SAR squadron to use the helicopter, with the Sycamore HR.13 in Apr 1953. It was also one of the few RAF units to use the Hiller HTE-2 (between Feb 1954 and May 1955), most being in Royal Navy service. In Jul 1954 the Sycamore HR.14 was introduced and this served until the unit was finally disbanded. In Mar 1959, the Whirlwind HAR.4 arrived, followed by some Whirlwind HAR.2s in Aug 1959. On 1 Sep 1959, the unit disappeared, being renumbered as 228 Squadron.
|1955/59||Norwich / Horsham St. Faith||EGSH|
|Construction Numbers for . / 275Sq / 275 Sq||Help Us|
|C/N||Version||Built||In this Org||In other Org|
|13246||sycamore||1955|| XG501 : HR.14 dd 9 Mar 1955. 275 Sq. While operating from RAF Leuchars, ditched a+ |
|13384||sycamore||1956|| XG544 : Built at Filton, dd 14 Dec 1956, 275 Sq Feb 1957, 72 Sq Oct 1961, 118 Sq O+ ||- XG544 : Flew into Barton Pines on 11 Aug 1972 as one of founding exhibits at the T+ |
|13385||sycamore||1956|| XG545 : Built at Weston-super-Mare as HR.14. 275 Sq. Ditched into the North Sea 16+ |
|13242||sycamore||1956|| XJ380 : dd RAF as HR.14 on 22 Oct 1956;275 Sq; 228 Sq; CFS; Catterick Fire School + ||- XJ380 : private owner in Drighlington, S. Yorks by 1988; to New Byth, Grampian by+ |
XJ380 : to Boscombe Down Aviation Collection Jun 2007. Restoration began Jan 2008.
|wa 46||har.4||1955|| XJ430 : 275 Sq A Flt by Sep 1959 |
|13460||sycamore||1957|| XL826 : 275 Sq by Jan 1959, CFS(H)/A-S Ternhill by 1963. w/o 28 Feb 1966 Ternhill,+ |