Formed 3 Jun 1942 as a long range catapult squadron. Fixed wing aircraft from various bases, including intensive carrier trials in the early 1950s, until Aug 1955 when it amalgamated with 771 Squadron
and the whole was renumbered as 700 Squadron
. Reformed on 22 Jan 1972 at RNAS Portland, as it split from 829 Squadron
to concentrate on Wasp ships flight training. In Feb 1975 it also took on the Wasp advanced training role from 706 Squadron
. Disbanded on 1 Jan 1981 when it was re-absorbed by 829 Squadron.