|Login | Contact us||
Back to 1900s
The autogiro evolved from earlier models during this time. While represent a great advance, could neither hover nor descend vertically like the modern helicopter.
1930 : ZAGI 1A also TsAGI , ( USSR ) The Aerodynamic and Hydrodynamic Central Institute 's vertical flight department was created in 1928 leaded by G. H. Sabinin . The ZAGI 1A flown by August 1930, had a fuselage made of welded tubes, a main rotor with four blades and powered by two engines of 120 HP installed with a vertical axis. ZAGI 1A was the first twin-engine helicopter
1931 : Kuznetzov autogiros ( USSR )
1932 : Kay
1932 : Flettner FL 265 ( Germany )
1933, April : Florine ( Belgium ) The first flyable twin tandem rotor helicopter was built by Russian-born engineer Nicolas Florine . An interesting thing was the rotors did not counter-rotate, they were tilted slightly in opposite directions to counter torque.
1933 : ZAGI 5EA ( USSR ) Their second model had a new rotor with a diameter of 10 m with three blades rigidly fixed to the hub. Three shorter blades ( 7 m ) were installed between the large ones. They included pitch change hinges for ensure cyclic control and the auxiliary rotors at the front and rear of the ZAGI 1A were retained.
Flights results were disappointing and the aircraft was abandoned
1934 : Nikolai Kamov 's
1935 : Elton Whitney ( USA ) Elton Whitney made patterns for the aluminum castings, he had a family friend, who was an expert, make the castings. In the meantime he obtained some spruce to make the fuselage and rotor blades. He was confident that it would work because he had made models, which had flown successfully.
When he received the castings, he discovered that the patterns he had made had not been correct and the castings would not fit together, so he abandoned the idea of building a full size machine, and simply made drawings of his idea.
He asked his son-in-law Rex. L. Beach who was studying Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture at the University of Michigan, to make blue prints of his drawings. Whitney sent them to the US Aeronautics Commission, and after some time he received a reply stating that his ideas were not new.
In 1939, Sikorsky produced his first helicopter with three of Whitney 's ideas incorporated, and Pitcairn came out with a new Autogiro, both had been on the commission to which he had sent his drawings to during that time frame.
1938 : Platt-LePage Aircraft Co XR-1 ( 1941 / 1944 )
1938, May 19 : Comes carried out to Washington the first flight mails with an autogyro. The regular service, carried out with a Kellet KD-1 of the Eastern Airlines, began July 6th, but then it was abandoned for practical reasons.
1939 : Weir W.6 - First with two seats
1939 : Igor Sikorsky (USA) The VS 300 was the first useful single-rotor helicopter. A design refined enough to be converted in the R-4 years later and put into production.
1940 : Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 Drache Focke biggest helicopter, it was tried to use in order to free Mussolini in imprisonment on the "Gran Sasso", but at the last moment, because of a damage, the rescue was done with an airplane Fi 156 Storch. First helicopter to fly the English Channel (May 1945).
1940 : Gyrocraft Mil A-15
1942 : Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 Bachstelze
1944, September : First helicopter school in the United States is created at Freeman Field, Seymour with Sikorsky R-4B helicopters flown direct to the field from the factory. The school was transferred in December 1944 to Chanute Field, Rantoul, Illinois.
1940/50 : Ivan Bratukhin 's Omega, G-3/4, B-5,9/11 (USSR)
UpTo50s : Continue
Helicopter History Site -
www.helis.com - Online since 1997
Designed for 1024x768 res -
This page downloaded 05 Mar 2015 15:24:55 MST