Common and grazing land to the north west of Shoreham was the site of a new airport, opened in 1910 with grass runways. From then to the present (with a brief hiatus between 1921 and 1925) flying has been continuous. The airport was renamed in 1930 after local councils became involved in ownership, to Brighton, Hove and Worthing Joint Municipal Airport
. The present terminal building was opened in mid 1936. The RAF took over the site during WWII and released it back to civilian activity in 1946.
The site was renamed Brighton City Airport in 2013.