Originally opened as an RFC training base in 1916 as Stamford airfield, it was renamed RAF Wittering in 1918 and by 1924 had become home to part of the Central Flying School, which had moved in from Upavon. It converted to a fighter base by the time WWII broke out. In 1941, its western boundary was extended to take in the nearby RAF Collyweston and a much larger RAF Wittering emerged. A new concrete main runway was laid in 1952 and it became the first operational V-bomber base in 1955.
The V-bomber era came to an end in 1968. In 1969, the base began its long association with V/STOL flight when 1 Squadron reformed there with the Harrier GR.1. Wittering is a large base and as well as giving Harrier crews and support teams plenty of different types of surface to practice on, it has also been used as a stores concentration area for northern England, where large scale overseas operations have required support. By 2004 it was the home of Joint Force Harrier, a joint services command for the RAF Harrier and (eventually) Royal Navy Sea Harrier units.