Opened in 1941 to support RAF
movements in the area with a Coastal Defence Flight. It was later used by the Royal Navy
but was released in 1946 and after WWII became known as INS Venduruthy II.
It was recommissioned by the Indian Navy as INS Garuda on 11 May 1953. The base has grown considerably since then and is now home to a variety of Indian Navy operational units, training schools and a maintenance facility. INS Garuda, despite its south westerly location is part of Eastern Naval Command. It is also the base for a Coast Guard