Russian Helicopters, October 07, 2014 - The Kamov Design Bureau was founded 66 years ago today.
The Soviet Union’s Aviation Industry Minister Mikhail Khrunichev issued an order establishing the experimental design bureau, later named after designer Nikolai Kamov, after a group headed by Kamov himself saw the first successful demonstration of a light helicopter on 7 October 1948.
The Ka-8 became the first in the family of helicopters that went on to earn worldwide acclaim, and which are – to this day – in service in virtually all corners of the world.
Nikolai Kamov was a talented engineer and designer, one of the ‘founding fathers’ of Russia’s helicopter construction industry.
Coaxial rotors became the bureau's trademark, providing high manoeuvrability and excellent handling in compact dimensions.
The bureau’s best-known naval rotorcraft include the Ka-27, Ka-29, and Ka-31, the civilian multirole Ka-32, and Ka-52 ‘Alligator’ next generation reconnaissance and combat helicopter.
The bureau is currently developing a new shipborne helicopter, the Ka-52K, on the basis of the ‘Alligator’, as well as new commercial models – a light Ka-226T and conventional medium Ka-62.
Pictures from top: Ka-27 Helix, Ka-22 and the Ka-8 Vertolet