Formed as fighter unit at Filton in Jun 1916 from 19 Squadron, it saw WWI service in France and Italy before disbanding in Oct 1919. Reformed at Duxford from C Flight of 19 Squadron in Jul 1936, after only 4 months with biplanes it remained an exclusively Spitfire unit throughout WWII until it disbanded again in Apr 1945.
Reformed again at Duxford (from 165 Squadron) on 1 Sep 1946 with Spitfires, it converted to Meteors and spent time between the UK and Germany, until it disbanded with Hunter F.6s at Acklington
in Sep 1960.
Its short rotary-wing career began at RAF Odiham, where it was reformed from the year-old Belvedere Trials Unit
in Sep 1961. It moved to Malaysia and had a tough time with the Belvedere spares and servicability in the hot and high conditions. Its numbers were boosted on 4 Dec 1965 when 4 airframes arrived from Aden, aboard HMS Albion
. After service in the Far East in support of Malaysian operations, it disbanded in Mar 1969.