Developed and tested in-house by experienced CHC Helicopter technical pilots, ClearSkies has been incorporated into the company’s bespoke Operational Flight Planning System (OFPS) to enhance flight profiles, reduce fuel use and optimise CO2 emission reductions.
The enhanced flight planning software maps the most fuel-efficient routes for customers, taking into account key factors including helicopter type, distance, altitude, weight of load, and current weather conditions at the time of flight.
Results from CHC’s aircraft trials of the new software in Australia and Brazil found that ClearSkies delivers an average reduction in CO2 emissions of at least 5 percent, with no discernible change in customer flight programmes.
ClearSkies is now available for customers globally on CHC’s AW139, AW189 and S-92 fleets, with further rollout planned for its H175 fleet. CHC is already using the software for flights for some customers, including for Shell UK.
CHC provide regular reporting to ClearSkies customers on their flight optimisation and verified reductions in fuel use and CO2 emissions.
Jørn Madsen, CEO of CHC, said: "We’re committed to taking good care of our people, our business operations and the environment. The aviation industry has an important role to play in reducing global emissions and we’re proud to spearhead more sustainable flights and a reduction of our carbon footprint in the helicopter sector.”
John Hopkinson, VP Safety, Compliance and Flight Standards added: “We firmly believe that sustainable practices and responsible operations go hand in hand with business success. Through technological advancements delivered by our team, we are able to deliver demonstrable reductions in CO2 emissions for our customers. Together, we can contribute to a more sustainable and greener future for the aviation industry and beyond.”
As part of its ClearSkies programme, CHC is also introducing Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF), providing a lower carbon alternative for customers. Using SAF results in a typical reduction in lifecycle carbon emissions by around 80 percent in comparison to the traditional jet fuel it replaces.
CHC now offers SAF at its bases in Norway, Aberdeen (Scotland) and Den Helder (Netherlands). Further roll-out is being planned across its operations in the coming months. CHC is also making SAF available as a customer option at selected offshore locations this year through a partnership between Air bp and Swire Energy Services.
- Optimised sustainability: The enhanced flight planning software maps the most fuel-efficient routes, taking into account key factors including distance, altitude, weight of load, and the current weather conditions at the time of flight.
- Proven reduction in fuel and carbon emissions: Results from CHC’s aircraft trials of the new software found ClearSkies delivered a reduction in CO2 emissions of at least five percent.
- Available aircraft: ClearSkies is available on CHC’s AW139, AW189 and S-92 fleets, following successful trials in 2022. Field trials for the H175 fleet will take place in 2023.
- Identifying the optimum helicopter for your missions: The tool enables customers to select the most fuel-efficient helicopter for its missions, by comparing the fuel efficiency of the different aircraft models in CHC’s fleet against mission criteria.
- Regular insights and reporting: CHC offers regular reporting to customers on their flight optimisation and verified reduction in fuel and emissions.
About Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF)
- Lower carbon fuel: Sustainable Aviation fuel is blended with jet fuel to make it suitable for use as aircraft fuel. Using Sustainable Aviation Fuel results in a
typical reduction in lifecycle carbon emissions by around 80 percent in comparison to the traditional jet fuel it replaces.
- Availability: CHC now offers SAF at its bases in Norway, Aberdeen (Scotland) and Den Helder (Netherlands). Further roll-out is being planned across its operations in the coming months. CHC is also making SAF available as a customer option at selected offshore locations in 2023 through a partnership between Air bp and Swire Energy Services.
- Aberdeen SAF from Air bp: CHC has partnered with Air bp to provide 10% SAF for flights from Aberdeen Airport to offshore platforms in the North Sea.
- Book and Claim: This option will be available at CHC operating bases where SAF is not available on site. It enables CHC to purchase SAF on behalf of customers, using the most efficient supply chain.
About CHC : CHC Helicopter is a leader in the provision of helicopter support to the offshore energy market, search & rescue and government departments, as well as organizations requiring helicopter maintenance, repair and overhaul services through its Heli-One division. For more than 75 years, CHC Helicopter has provided safe, reliable, and cost-effective helicopter services in some of the most remote and challenging environments around the world. Our dedication to safety and reputation for quality and innovation help our customers reach beyond what they thought possible.
CHC AW139 helicopter