Avalex, September 12, 2018 - Babcock Aviation has selected a full suite of new-generation digital video equipment, including Avalex AVM4178Q 17-inch HD widescreen displays, Avalex AVC1816 Smart Video Management System and the Avalex AVR8414 HD DVR, as part of the fleet upgrade program for a fleet of five Airbus H135 helicopters operated by Western Power Distribution (WPD).
This enables WPD to more efficiently monitor and manage their network of power distribution lines across the Midlands, South West England and Wales.
“We are very pleased and honored to have our equipment selected as part of this critical helicopter upgrade program,” said Tony Hatten, Vice President of Business Development for Avalex Technologies. “The helicopters play a vital role in enabling Western Power Distribution to monitor the nearly 137,000 miles of overhead lines and underground cables that delivers power to over 7.8 million customers.
“Our new-generation video equipment will not only enable their crews to see the condition of the lines with unparalleled clarity and accuracy, it will also provide the flexibility to digitally record the images for further analysis once the aircraft has arrived back at its base,” he said. “And because our equipment is ruggedized for helicopter operations, it will dramatically increase hardware reliability, while reducing system maintenance and downtime.”
The fleet upgrade that is being completed by Babcock Aviation at its base in Staverton, includes two Avalex 17-inch HD monitors, a single Avalex 10-inch HD display, an Avalex multi-channel HD digital video recorder (DVR) and the Avalex Smart Video Management System. Other special missions equipment includes stabilized infrared camera turrets, LIDAR laser surveying devices and ergonomically optimized workstations for the cabin and cockpit crews.
“We have worked very closely with Babcock Aviation to select and supply mission equipment that not only meets WPD’s current operational needs, but has the capabilities to grow and provide expanded services while guaranteeing the upgrade path to protect their investment,” Hatten said.
About the Avalex AVM4187Q Widescreen HD Display:
- Full 1920 x 1080 resolution for ultra-sharp images
- Widescreen 16 by 9 Aspect Ratio
- Quad processing enables operator to simultaneously compare images from multiple sources
- HD, SD, DVI and VGA inputs
- Rugged milled aluminum frame.
About the Avalex AVC1816 Smart Video Management System:
- Multi-channel HD, SD and Analog Switch Routing
- Eight HD Inputs: 16 HD Outputs
- 15 RS-170 Inputs: 24 RS-170 Outputs
- Five RGD Inputs: eight RGB Outputs
- Dynamically configurable via remote access
- Multi-channel Analog Audio input/Outputs
- Rugged Compact Design offering simple, flexible installation.
About the Avalex AVR8414 Multi-Channel HD DVR:
- 1080P digital video recording
- Record up to five-channels simultaneously
- Playback while recording
- 60 GB internal memory
- Night Vision Imaging System compatible Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) display
- DO-160G qualified
- Ruggedized for helicopter operations.