Haverfordwest Airfield (also known as Withybush) was set up around 1941 by the War Office as part of RAF Coastal Command but not formally opened until 1943. It was closed shortly after WWII. Small scale regional services began in 1950 by Cambrian Air Services, but these ceased in 1957 due to difficult economics, lack of a London route and variable customs services.
Club flying continued throughout the 1960 and 70s and in the mid 1980s, another ambitious attempt at establishing commercial services began with Welsh Airways operating limited international services. This too was a doomed enterprise, eventually closing before the decade was out. Despite this, building work continued throughout the 1990s to increase hangarage and update the small terminal building.