Originally known as Ford Farm and renamed RAF Old Sarum at the end of WWI, in 1918. It has been the scene of much Army Cooperation work, up to and through WWII when 9 AOP units were based here and as the location of joint services units, such as the School of Air Support and later the School of Land/Air Warfare. Although flying was mostly limited to communciations, important work was to be done by the RAF and the Army with the introduction of the helicopter, through the Helicopter Development Unit in the early 1960s. The RAF passed the base to the Army in 1971.
By 1979 it had been closed as a military establishment, although the Government still used some of the buildings. A factory for building a low volume civil aircraft had been opened but a fire in Jan 1987 burnt it down and the old guard house was demolished towards the end of 2002. A Flying Club started in 1992 and the airfield is now used for general aviation.
Early 1960 ARMY/RAF started A.A.T.D.C later J.A.T.E AAC Beavers and one Royal Navy Whirlwind