“We are thrilled to offer the Genesys autopilot for the 505 to our customers in the UK,” said Duncan Van De Velde, managing director, Europe and Russia.
“The system decreases pilot workload, increases pilot comfort over long distances, and provides assistance in the event of inadvertent Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC).”
It is available in two or three-axis configurations: the two-axis version includes pitch control (altitude hold, IAS Hold) and roll control (HDG hold, NAV, vertical navigation mode), and the three-axis option adds yaw control.
In addition, the system is equipped with:
- Stability augmentation system to automatically recover the aircraft to near-level flight attitude at all speeds in the event of adverse roll or pitch
- Stability engagement throughout all phases of flight
- Envelope protection to prevent over speeding and under speeding
Owners can specify the system on new Bell 505s or have the system retrofitted to existing aircraft through a Genesys Aerosystems approved dealer.
“The UK has been eagerly waiting for autopilot certification for the 505,” said Gary Slater, director and owner, Helix AV. “This is great news for the Bell 505 and further enhances the performance of the aircraft.”
With the latest Garmin avionics, dual channel FADEC-controlled engine and Genesys HeliSAS autopilot, the Bell 505 is the most advanced short light single aircraft on the market. There are more than 300 Bell 505s operating in more than 55 countries across all six continents.
Genesys Aerosystems - The HeliSAS® Helicopter Autopilot and Stability Augmentation System provides the safety and workload reduction benefits of stability augmentation that were once reserved for military and transport category helicopters. With over 1,000 sold, the patented HeliSAS technology has saved the lives of helicopter pilots and passengers. (Patent number 7,108,232)
This helicopter SAS and autopilot:
- A two-axis autopilot (three-axis option available on the Bell 505) Providing both Lateral and Vertical functions, HDG, VOR, LOC, GPS, GS, SPD*, VRT, and ALT
- Course intercept capability
- HDG to NAV
- Weighs less than 15 pounds
- Dramatic reduction in pilot workload
- Safer, more confident command...even under demanding conditions
- Auto-recover to a neutral attitude in situations where the pilot may lose visual reference (SAS)
- Pilots with no helicopter experience have successfully hovered a HeliSAS-equipped helicopter with very little practice.
Available for Bell 206B/L, 407, 505, Airbus/Eurocopter AS350, EC120, EC130B4, EC130T2, Robinson R44, R66
Genesys HeliSAS autopilot