Originally built in 1954 at Yeovil, Somerset as a 12-seat transport helicopter. XD163 is of particular significance as it was not only converted from an earlier mark of Whirlwind, but was in fact in its earlier life the first Whirlwind delivered to the Royal Air Force and was the first Whirlwind Mk.4. It first flew in April 1954 and operated with the Far East air force. In 1962 it was delivered to Westlands factory for conversion to Mk.10 standard, powered by a Rolls Royce Gnome turboshaft engine. As the 36th production conversion Mk.10, XD163 first flew in February 1964 and allocated to 2FTS at the Central Flying School helicopter wing Ternhill in 1966. It remained there until 1979 when it was retired and placed in storage at RNAY Wroughton. The aircraft was subsequently transferred to the museum in April 1991.
Weston-super-MareExhibit ( apr-91 ) acquired by The Helicopter Museum in Apr 1991. Under restoration from Aug 2003 and completed in Feb 2008. Still present Jul 2015.