The site at RAF Boulmer was built in 1940 as a decoy airfield for RAF Acklington. In Mar 1943 it re-opened as a forward base for the Spitfires of 57 OTU and between then and Nov 1943, 3 tarmac runways were laid. The site reverted to agricultural use after World War 2 but as the Cold War intensified, land near the original base was obtained and building commenced for Air Defence radars and a Control centre, to be re-opened in Jun 1953 as a satellite of RAF Acklington. By 1954 it had become an independent RAF station. In late 1957, Boulmer took responsibility for other, remote radar heads and became an important part of the UK Air Defence Ground Environment (UK ADGE).
In 1978, Boulmer became home to the Whirlwind
HAR.10 of 202 Squadron for a short time, when RAF Acklington
closed. Between Sep and Dec 1978, the Whirlwinds began to be replaced by the Sea King
HAR.3. In 1993, the peace dividend manifested itself through a standby role in Air Defence for RAF Boulmer. By 2002, UK ADGE had become the improved and upgraded UK Air Surveillance and Control System (UK ASACS) and Boulmer was once again taking on major roles from other sites in the chain.