Started life as RNAS Cattewater shortly after seaplane trials around 1913. It became RAF Cattewater in 1918 when the RNAS was absorbed into the RAF and was renamed RAF Mount Batten in 1928. Flying boats were a common sight for the people of Plymouth and from 1940 until the end of WWII, 10 Squadron, RAAF
based its Sunderlands here. The marker indicates the helicopter landing site in front of the officers mess, before it was demolished. The base closed in 1986 and has subsequently been redeveloped.