860 sqn was formed in 1943 as a British Fleet Air Arm unit. After WW2 it was reformed as a Dutch Firefly squadron. After the Firefly, 860 was equipped with Sea Furies and Sea Hawks before becomming a helicopter squadron flying the Westland Wasp. This helicopter was replaced by the Westland Lynx in 1980.
860 Squadron transformed as a helicopter unit on 4 Oct 1966, when it re-equipped with the AH-12A Wasp. It was the parent unit for deployments to the Van Speijk
Class Frigates. During the latter half of 1974, there were a number of ships flight assignments to RNAS Portland
. The Wasps were retired in Dec 1980, after the introduction of the first SH-14B Lynx during Oct 1978.