Formed 1 Jan 1918 as a heavy bomber unit, it never saw service in WWI and was disbanded again on 7 Sep 1918. After service as a fighter squadron in WWII between Feb 1941 and Mar 1946, it reformed in May 1951 with Vampires, then Venoms, then Hunter F.4s until disbanding again in Jul 1957.
Its brief association with rotary wing operations started on 1 Sep 1959 when it reformed with 2x Sycamore HR.14s from Sycamore Flight of 228 Squadron, at RAF Aldergrove; a 3rd joined on 4 Sep, with a 4th joining later.
There was a good deal of administrative indecision about the role of support helicopters in Northern Ireland within the UK Government and the unit was threatened with disbandment several times from 1960. Indeed it acted as a detached Flight of 225 Squadron between May and Aug 1961, until it was retrospectively restored to full Squadron status. It finally disbanded on 31 Aug 1962.