Formed on 8 Oct 1915 at Netheravon (EGDN), it left for East Africa, serving for a little over 2 years before returning to the UK in Jul 1918 when it disbanded. It reformed 11 Oct 1927 as an Army Cooperation unit and served throughout WWII, disbanding at Lubeck on 1 Apr 1946. Reformed the same day as a fighter unit from 41 Squadron. It disbanded at Gütersloh
on 30 Dec 1960.
Its rotary wing service began at RAF Odiham (EGVO
) where it formed with the Belvedere HC.1 in Jun 1962. The unit administratively moved to RAF Khormaksar in Aden in Mar 1963, while its Belevederes staged in from the UK in pairs, over a period of a year. It played a key role supporting operations in the Crater and Radfan areas. Temporary detachments occurred as trouble flared, for example, 2 of the Unit airframes accompanied Royal Marines on HMS Centaur
on 21 Jan 1964.
It disbanded on 30 Nov 1965 shortly after its Belvedere
HC.1s had left for Singapore
aboard HMS Albion
for 66 Squadron
26 Squadron's last period of service was from 3 Feb 1969 as a fixed wing Communications unit, until 31 Mar 1976 when it was disbanded.