Operation Eagle Claw

On 4 November 1979, after a popular revolution swept the Shah of Iran, a close American ally, out of power, Iranian students backing the new revolutionary Islamic government stormed the US embassy in Teheran and took the staff and USMC security contigent hostage.

In all, 52 Americans were captured and it was unclear whether they were being tortured or readied for execution. After six months of failed negotiation, the US broke diplomatic relations with Iran on 8 April 1980 and the newly certified US Army Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (Airborne) was put on full alert and plans were being drawn up for a rescue.

The Americans faced a daunting task. Teheran is well inside Iran and away from friendly countries. The hostages were not held at an airport as in Israel's four years earlier Entebbe raid. Good intelligence was hard to come by about forces inside the embassy and in Teheran. And of course, all the planning and training had to be carried out in complete secrecy.

American hostages in Iran

The Plan

At first, the preferred solution was the infiltration of the force by trucks from Turkish territory but this plan was rejected due political disadvantages and the risk of a great number of casualties made to discard the possibility of a night paratroopers assault so the choice fell again, after all, on the use of helicopters. By December 1979, a rescue force was selected and a training program was under way. Training exercises were conducted through March 1980 and the Join Chiefs of Staff (JCS) approved mission execution on 16 April 1980. Between 19 and 23 April, the forces deployed to Southwest Asia.

What was ultimately decided on was an audacious plan involving all four US armed forces services, 8 helicopters (Navy RH-53D's with USMC crews), 12 USAF planes ( 4 special ops MC-130E Combat Talon, 3 command post EC-130E Commando Solo, 3 gunships AC-130 Spectre, and 2 cargo C-141 Starlifter ), and numerous operators infiltrated into Teheran ahead of the actual assault. Aircraft carriers USS Nimitz (CVN68) and USS Coral Sea (CV43) were already in the Arabian Sea to provide air support if necessary with their F-14A Tomcat, A-6E Intruder and A-7E Corsair.

The basic plan was to infiltrate the operators into the country the night before the assault and get them to Teheran, and after the assault, bring them home.

The first night, three MC-130's Combat Talon were to fly to an barren spot in Iran and offload the Delta force men, Combat Controllers, and translators/truck drivers. Three EC-130's following the Combat Talon's would then land and prepare to refuel the Marine RH-53's flying in from the carrier USS Nimitz. Once the helicopters were refuled, they would fly the task force to a spot near the outskirts of Teheran and meet up with agents already in-country who would lead the operators to a safe house to await the assault the next night.

The helicopters would fly to another site in-country and hide until called by the Delta operators.

Map Eagle Claw Scenario

On the second night, the MC-130's and EC-130's would again fly into the country, this time with 100 US Army Rangers troops, and head for Manzariyeh Airfield. The Rangers were to assault the field and hold it so that the two C-141's could land to ferry the hostages back home. The three AC-130's would be used to provide cover for the rangers at Manzariyeh, support Delta's assault, and to supress any attempts at action by the Iranian Air Force from nearby Mehrabad Airbase. Delta would assault the embassy and free the hostages, then rendevous with the helicopters in a nearby football stadium. They and the hostages would be flown to Manzariyeh Airfield and the waiting C-141's and then flown out of the country. All the aircraft but the eight helicopters would be flown back, the helicopters would be destroyed before leaving.

The Helicopters

The Sikorsky RH-53D Sea Stallion was the specialized mine countermeasures variant ( fitted with devices for the detection, sweeping and neutralization of all types of mines ) of the CH-53 Sea Stallion . The US Navy received the first of 30 RH-53D in May 1973 to replace the old RH-3A Sea Kings and, coincidentally, the only other customer of the RH-53D was the Iranian Navy with 6 aircraft delivered to the Shah.

The determination of the type of helicopter to be used was very difficult but the Sea Stallion was selected in good part due to its great capacity to carry heavy loads. Completely supplied can take 30 people and with less fuel 50 with a maximum gross weight of 42,000 pounds (15 Tn aprox) and is capable of speeds up 160 knots. In spite of it's huge size, the Sea Stallion has been known to make a few loops from time to time.

Sikorsky RH-53D Sea Stallion

The RH-53D variant had extra fuel tanks on the landing gear pylons so this aircraft was preferable to the normal CH-53D due it's long range. A year before, on April 1979 a RH-53D from US Navy squadron HM-12 set a new nonstop transcontinental flight by flying from Norfolk, Virginia, to San Diego, California. The helicopter flew 2,077-nm in 18.5 hours, air refueling from an Air National Guard HC-130 Hercules. The flight demonstrated the long-range, quick-response capability of the RH-53D helicopter and was commanded by Lieutenant Rodney M. Davis.

But moreover a hunting-mines helicopter would not seem outside of place on board an aircraft carrier.

In October 1979, US Navy Squadron HM-16 was participating in Canous Marcot 79, a joint U.S. - Canadian exercise, shore based at CFB Shearwater, Nova Scotia, Canada. The squadron's prime objective was to clear a simulated minefield blocking this major strategic Canadian port. Four days after returning from this Canadian deployment, HM-16 was tasked to execute a no-notice rapid deployment to the Indian Ocean area. Within a 34 hour period, all personnel and squadron assets were deployed from the commands home base in Norfolk, Virginia and stationed aboard carrier USS Nimitz where their RH-53's were painted brown for the camoflauge effect of the Iranian desert and to be similar to Iranian aircraft paint schemes.

HM-16 provided the eight helicopters for Eagle Claw and was until 19 May 1980 when the squadron returned to Norfolk after an unprecedented 193 days continuous at sea.

Helicopters Eagle Claw on Aircraft Carrier USS Nimitz

RH-53D Sea Stallions on Aircraft Carrier USS Nimitz

Sikorsky H-53 Eagle Claw


On the evening of 24 April 1980, six C-130s left Masirah Island, Oman, and eight RH-53D helicopters departed the USS Nimitz in the Arabian Sea. Both formations headed for the location code-named Desert One.

First Problems

A month before the assault a CIA Twin Otter aircraft had flown to Desert One. A USAF Combat Controller had rode around the landing area on a light dirt bike and planted landing lights to help guide the force in.

That insertion went well, with no contact, and the pilots reported that their sensors had picked up some radar signals at 3,000 feet but nothing below that.

CIA Twin Otter Eagle Claw

Despite these findings, the helicopter pilots were told to fly at or below 200 feet to avoid radar. This limitation caused them to run into a haboob, or dust storm, that they could not fly over without breaking the 200 foot limit. Two helicopters lost sight of the task force and landed, out of action. Another had landed earlier when a warning light had come on. Their crew had been picked up but the aircraft that had stopped to retrieve them was now 20 minutes behind the rest of the formation.

Battling dust storms and heavy winds, the RH-53's continued to make their way to Desert One. After recieving word that the EC-130's and fuel had arrived, the two aircraft that had landed earlier started up again and resumed their flight to the rendevous. But then another helicopter had a malfunction and the pilot and Marine commander decided to turn back, halfway to the site. The task force was down to six helicopters, the bare minimum needed to pull off the rescue.

The first group of three helicopters arrived at Desert One an hour late, with the rest appearing 15 minutes later. The rescue attempt was dealt it's final blow when it was learned that one of the aircraft had lost its primary hydralic system and was unsafe to use fully loaded for the assault. Only five aircraft were servicable and six needed, so the mission was aborted.

Lockheed MC-130E Combat Talon Eagle Claw

And there were other problems. A bus came by on a dirt road shortly after the lead C-130 landed. Its driver and about 40 passengers were held until the Americans left.


With the mission already aborted, things got worse when one of the helicopters moved to another position and drifted into one of the parked EC-130's. In the pilot's defense, it was dark and his rotors kicked up an immense dust cloud, making it difficult to see but immediately both the C-130 and RH-53 burst into flames, lighting up the dark desert night, and 8 crewmembers lost their lives.

CAPT Harold L. Lewis Jr. - USAF EC-130E A/C Commander
CAPT Lyn D. McIntosh - USAF EC-130E Pilot
CAPT Richard L. Bakke - USAF EC-130E Navigator
CAPT Charles McMillian - USAF EC-130E Navigator
TSGT Joel C. Mayo - USAF EC-130E Flight Engineer
SSgt Dewey Johnson - USMC RH-53D Crewmember
Sgt John D. Harvey - USMC RH-53D Crewmember
Cpl George N. Holmes - USMC RH-53D Crewmember

Hercules destroyed Eagle Claw

The C-130 was evacuated and the order came to blow the aircraft and exfiltrate the country. However, in the dust and confusion the order never reached the people who would blow the aircraft. There were wounded and dying men to be taken care of and the aircraft had to be moved to avoid having the burning debris start another fire. Because of this failure to destroy the helicopters, the Americans left behind them 5 RH-53D intact and top secret plans fell into the hands of the Iranians the next day and the agents waiting in-country to help the Delta operators were almost captured.

Debris of the EC-130E BuNo 62-1809 Lockheed Hercules c/n 3770
Iranian guards check the debris

A big surprise the day after

"A few days ago the President made a very courageous decision as he ordered us to execute the rescue operation as we tried to free our Americans held hostage in Teheran. It was not a risk-free operation-there is no such thing as a risk-free operation..... we all shared considerable disappointment that we were not successful. But let's not be despondent about that. Our job is now to remain alert, to look for those opportunities, times when we can bring our Americans out. Our job is to stay ready."

Admiral Thomas B. Hayward, Chief of Naval Operations,
in a video message to USS Nimitz, USS Texas and USS California during their transit home from the Indian Ocean.

After Eagle Claw a long negotiation follows, including the beginning of the Iraq-Iran war. Was on 19 January 1981 when Secretary Christopher signs the accord at 3:35 E.S.T. and on January 20, after last-minute delays over fund transfers, the hostages leave Teheran on the 444th day of their captivity, minutes after President Carter leaves office. On January 21, citizen Carter greets the hostages at Weisbaden, West Germany.

Operation Honey Badger which was to be the second attempt to rescue the hostages from Iran was no longer necessary.

The Lessons

A six-member commission was appointed by the JCS to study the operation. Headed by Adm James L. Holloway III, the panel included Gen LeRoy Manor, who commanded the Son Tay raid, November 21, 1970 in Vietnam to rescue prisioners. One issue investigated was selection of aircrew. Navy and Marine pilots with little experience in long-range overland navigation or refueling from C-130s were selected though more than a hundred qualified Air Force H-53 pilots were available. Another issue was the lack of a comprehensive readiness evaluation and mission rehearsal program. From the beginning, training was not conducted in a truly joint manner; it was compartmented and held at scattered locations throughout the US. The limited rehearsals that were conducted assessed only portions of the total mission. Also at issue was the number of helicopters used.

The commission concluded that at least ten and perhaps as many as twelve helicopters should have been launched to guarantee the minimum of six required for completion of the mission. The plan was also criticized for using the "hopscotch" method of ground refueling instead of air refueling as was used for the Son Tay raid. By air refueling en route, the commission thought the entire Desert One scenario could have been avoided.

Although the results of the mission were tragic, Operation Eagle Claw's contribution to the American military was invaluable. The lessons learned from the mission illustrated serious deficiencies in the capability of the American military. The mission forced the political and military leadership to address these inadequacies and initiate changes. Military reforms would be complete and revolutionary. In particular, the mission was a major contributor to the changing of service parochialism. The mission contributed to the development of Jointness.

Eagle Claw identified Helicopters

RH-53D serial number 158761 destroyed in collision with EC-130E BuNo 62-1809
Five more RH-53D abandoned or destroyed at Desert one.

See RH-53D Production List

User Contributed Notes

You might want to expand the info about 1st insertion by Coach Carney & Team.... There was more than one.

bp ( usa )
some one is confused, one of the H-53\s returned to Nimitz. I know because I was there

Terence M. ( Brockton MA )
I was stationed at Ramstein Germany in 1980 and was sent TDY to Wadi Kena. I had orders to Sigonella air Station Sicily, but actually was sent to the WADI. Are there any campaign ribbons or such that were awarded to service members that were sent on this deployment? It was part of Operation Eagle Claw.

Mark B. ( Laguna Niguel, CA )
I flew OH-58s and Huey UH-1Ds in West Germany prior to and during the Eagle Claw mission. We would train at night, with night vision goggles, flying NOE (Nap-of-the-earth), in squadrons, with all running lights off.

The UH-1D has a self purging particle separator, not a material filter as in the Navy and Marine helicopters, so we never had to worry about filter changes or air inlet flow restrictions. This mission should have been flown by Army helicopter pilots in Army helicopters. If they had, you have no loss of aircraft and no pilot error.

We logged tens of thousands of hours flying tactical at night with these helicopters. Why the Joint Chiefs went with non-Army pilots and helicopters is beyond all reason.

Rich K ( Massachusetts )
Mark B, I respect your service but with all due respect to those who participated in the mission, you have no idea what the results would have been if Army pilots were in command.

notgiven ( nevada )
I was a CMC onboard CV61 during Eagle Claw. The night before the helos took off, I received a Secret msg that indicated the helos had been damaged by AFFF during a false fire alarm in the Hangar Bay. Crews in the bay were up all night repairing (cleaning) the helos, since AFFF is corrosive. To this day I am sure that the helos that failed did so because of damage to their systems by AFFF. This is never mentioned anywhere in UNCLAS docs. In my book, that confirms this factor in the failure of Eagle Claw. Semper Fi to all.

Jeff ( Kajaki Dam )
Does anyone know if the four abandoned 53s were placed into Iranian service?

Jerry P ( Sturgis, SD )
The first Marines to enter the Indian ocean since WWII was the 31st Marine Amphib Unit. About a Marine Battalion plus all the extras. I was in the 31st M.S.S.G as a Shorepartyman (Red Patcher) Our job discription included running L.Z.\s . We were with the Nimitz when it launched the mission. Later we received the Marine Corps Expeditionary medal. I always wondered what would have happen if we were there. I was on the L.K.A. 115 Mobile.

Pete ( Iowa )
During Operation Desert Shield / Storm I was a CH-53D crew chief with HMH-462. An Iranian pilot had defected with his family to Saudi Arabia prior to our arrival in Aug 1990. Left behind for the Saudis was the Iranian RH-53D. It had not flown in a while, so we were asked by the Saudis to work on the aircraft and make it ready for flight. It was done smartly and professionally. Prior to the commencement of Desert Storm in January, we had a crew fly the aircraft to a neutral border location. As I understand it was transferred to an Iranian crew and returned to Iran. Not sure if this was one from the Eagle Claw operation at Desert One, but it was painted with the Iranian Navy paint scheme. Interestingly the only guy in our squadron with Combat Aircrew wings at that time was a Sgt who was on that mission. First time I had seen these wings, and later earned them. // Also Mark B. - interesting bravado about Army aviation. I have reviewed enough Army mishaps in my work with survivability, some with TACOPS officers who were of the highest seniority. it is the training, planning, equipment and attitude of the crew that drives success, not the service branch. Army has lost a tremendous amount of helps due to brown-outs, rollovers and other mishaps in AFG. I am not knocking Army pilots, just rebutting they are not bulletproof as you suggested.

Larry Foster ( California )
I was with 1st Battalion 9th Marines 1979 - 81. We were in Subic Bay Philippines when the raid got under way. We got word to get back to our ship - USS Tripoli. When we got on board they started passing out live ammunition and told us to get ready to provide backup. They never told us what, where or why but we were heading for Iran. Halfway there we turned around and returned to Subic. The next day we found out what had happened. I have asked several sources if we rated any accomodations for Eagle Claw but have recieved no answers.

stanman ( richmond )
In 1980 I was told by a Navy CH-53D helicopter aircrewman that upon leaving Norfolk, the helicopters carried exiled Iranian Nationals. I was also told that these men were CIA trained insurgents sent to assist in the Hostage rescue/terrorism. I was also told that these men were loaded onto the bus that was waiting at desert one. In the ensuring fire and explosions, most of their equipment was destroyed or left behind. With most of the Helicopters damaged, there was no way to get them back out of Iran so we abandoned them. I was also told that the leader of this group was Osama Bin Laden. This may explain his animosity towards Americans.

Jerry Rod ( Texas )
I was onboard the USS Nimitz with vf-84. To; not given, yes you are right, there was a small spontanious fire on an f-14. The corrosion control guys were sanding down or wiping down a tomcat when the fire errupted. it didnt cause much damage, but someone did set off the sprinkler system in the hanger bay. As you know, or not know, the ships sprinkler system is unlimited supply of salt water, guess from where. I seperated july 1980, I never received any medal, or ribbon from the NAVAIR.

Larry Ward ( UK )
I was stationed at Holloman AFB NM, went TDY to Wadi, and was there in the run up to Eagle Claw. We set up the hangars for Delta Force, and provided a lot of the security for them and the support aircraft. I was there when we heard that the mission had run into trouble, and watched the operators load up onto the C-141s to leave. A career high and low point all in one.

Mark Hicks ( New Mexico )
I was also in First Battalion Ninth Marines 79-82, Weapons Company, on the USS Tuscaloosa, accompanied by the USS Juneau. As I remember, we were briefed about the possible role we may play in Iran. However, that role was suddenly scratched, and we sailed to the Philippines only after we waited off the Iranian coast. While in the Philippines , we engaged in a monumental live fire, including Naval gunfire. The goal was to expel an abundance of live ammunition possibly on Communist strongholds? Consequently, After leaving the Philippines, We road out a typhoon number 4 or 5 on our way to Hong Kong, where plenty of San Miguel awaited.

John M Taggart ( Moab Utah )
I trained for but was not part of the mission. The ACFT that was hit by a helo and burned was EC 130 # 1809. The second ACFT 1818 is now in a museum in SC. Both ACFT belonged to the 7th ACCS, Airborne Comand and Control Sq. at Keesler AFB Ms. This was classified information for many years.

Michael L. Boore ( Hardy, Va. )
In the words of a senior SF NCO involved at the intelligence end of this mission (& good friend of my Father & our family. .. Too Many Fingers in the Pie.

wmp recon ( massachusetts )
As part of the initial triage of support with night vision capabilities, my recollection of, (and the little that I was made aware of) was the largest failure here was not because of lack of experience, the Marine pilots, etc..It was lack of proper planning at the top, including (but not limited to) weather, supply lines support, and performing due diligence regarding the equipment utilized, namely the helos. I do not believe there were problems utilizing inter-service personnel. Everyone there performed and fulfilled their duty as was expected of them. I personally feel that those few finger-pointers were (and still are) attempting to make themselves look like heroes. Thanks to you all. Semper Fi

Sabrina King ( US )
Did anyone serve with Sgt Rodney M. King? Was with the 437th military airwing at Charleston AFB. Looking for information on my father and discovered he may have served in the Eagle Claw operation. He died when I was a child. Thx!

Sgt. Phillip R. Winders ( Mass )
Our base, Reese A.F.B., was a training base for the C-130s who were using night vision. It made sense. As a radar/PAR air traffic controller, we knew of the kind of conditions they might face. Dust bowl tidal waves of blowing dirt as fine as talcum powder constantly blew in the spring, sometimes at 70 mph. In anycase the night after the scrubbed mission a C-130 landed and at least 3 or four dozens of wounded Air Force personal and Marines crowded our Base Ops. Some were horribly burned, lying on the floor their uniforms melted into their skin. As you can imagine the smell was naseating and overpowering. Our crew had just reported for duty that early morning and witnessed the horror and pain suffered by those brave Airmen and Marines. I still think about it every day. Of course at the time we didnt know the big picture. It was crushing when we did find out. God we wish we could have done something for them, we felt so useless, instead we went to our unit and talked to the flying metal all morning. It was bizzare for me because I saved a T-38 that had to land, no fuel, a 140 degree turn to short final 3 miles out piloted by an Iranian student pilot, right on center line. This of course was before the revolution. Prine Reza Palavi, the Shahs son, got his wings at Reese as well. He was hell on wheels trying to beat the slow main gate to escape to his very fine home in Lubbock. His father gave us the the money to by a faster closing gate! I will always honor the sacrifice of those 8 comrads till the day I die. They died heroes on a noble mission. They may be gone but never forgotten.

pes ( Biloxi )
Was stationed at Keesler just after this operation. I worked on the Hercs assigned there, and if I recollect properly, one day I noticed a brass plaque over the navigators table commemorating that fateful incident. Not sure if it was on all assigned there, but I do recall reading one. It might have been 1818 that had it.

Tom ( Alabama )
I was the XO of a weapons site in Turkey about 500 miles from the desert site. We had a large Iranian expat population in the adjacent town. Heard nothing about the raid until one of the Turkish officers came up to me and demanded we lock down the site. He had heard about the aborted mission on Turkish commercial radio. You would have thought JCS would have at least raised our alert level given the issues we were facing there. Turks did arrest several Iranians that were stirring up trouble in town afterwards. Never did hear anything about threat levels from USAEUR or LANDSoutheast.

One of 12 ( Ohio )
As a member of the Desert One LZ security team I can tell you that the original plan was to land a C130 in the soccer stadium near the embassy with JADO rockets placed on both sides of the nose to bring it to a stop in less than 50. The hostages were to be extracted the in the same C130 with the JADO rockets located on the back of the plane assisting in a short field take off. As crazy as it sounds it worked in the training exercises until they allowed a new pilot from another branch to participate in the mission and he broke the C130 in half after firing the nose rockets to high off the ground causing the aircraft to fall straight down. The other thing is that all of the Jet A fuel was carried in rubber bladders located on the floor of the C130s and we all sat on those bladders as if they were waterbeds.

Add note to this page

Latest News

London Heliport 2017 Balance

Ardiden 3C obtains EASA Certification

USA Approves MH-60R Seahawk for Mexico

Safran Signs Engines Support Contracts

San Diego Gas & Electric New H145 Helicopter

More German Partners for STH CH-53K Team

10-Year Contract $25.5B to Support US Army

SIFOREX 2018 Exercise in Peru

facebook     twitter     google     linkedin