The Escuela de Aviacion Militar ( Military Aviation School ) was created at El Palomar in 1912. Air power saw a great expansion in the 1912-45 period when a decision was made to create the Argentine Air Force as a separate branch of the armed forces with the Army given all of its aircraft and installations.
It was only in 1956 when Army Aviation was re-established.
Units numbered 6nn are based at Campo de Mayo and assigned to Army level.
Units numbers 121,141 and 181 are assigned to II, III and V Corps (renamed Divisions in 2011) respectively.
Units 2 to 12 are assigned to their respectives Brigades except the 4th Paratroopers and 10th Mechanized which do not have aviation units permanently attached.
There are other units which are not listed here as do not have helicopters assigned:
Batallon de Abastecimiento y Mantenimiento de Aeronaves 601 ( BAbMantAeron601 ) perform maintenance and repairs
Escuadron de Aviacion de Apoyo de Inteligencia 601 ( EscAvAIcia601 ) flying OV-1 Mohawks
Escuadron de Aviación de Apoyo General 603 ( EscAvAG603 ) fixed wing aircraft transports
Traditionally called CAE, the whole command was renamed Direccion de Aviacion de Ejercito in 2011