Formed Mar 1945 as fixed wing unit in support of the Pacific Fleet, until May 1946. Re-formed with US built Whirlwind HAS.22s, with the US AN/AQS4 dunking sonar at RNAS Gosport (but administratively attached to 705 Squadron
at Lee-on-Solent). Commissioned 7 Sep 1953 as 706 Squadron and also operated 2 Hiller HT.1s until Oct 1953 when it moved initially to Sydenham (EGAC) and then to RNAS Eglinton (EGAE) for submarine trials in Feb 1954, from time to time on HMS Perseus
. Disbanded and 8 a/c to 845 Squadron
on 1 Mar 1954.
Reformed Jan 1962 at RNAS Culdrose for advanced training of Wessex HAS.1 crews. B Flt formed at RNAS Culdrose on 7 Jan 1964 with 6 Wessex HAS.1 and 3 Hiller HT.2 for trials on HMS Bulwark
in Commando assault role but all of 706 B Flt was incorporated into 845 Squadron
as soon as it arrived in the Far East. Also received 2 Wasps in Nov 1964 for advanced flying training. Exchanged its Wessex HAS.1 for Wessex HAS.3s between 1967/68. Received its Sea King HAS.1s in Jan 1970 for Advanced Flying Training for pilots, observers and aircrewmen. Wasp training responsibility transferred to 703 Squadron
in Feb 1975.
On 1 Apr 1975, the unit formally assumed the Civilian SAR commitment. It was the administrative host for the RAF Sea King Training Unit
from Feb 1978 until that became an autonomous RAF unit in Apr 1993. It also parented RFA Fort Grange
Ships Flt from Feb until Dec 1978. Sea King Operational Flying Training resumed in Feb 1979 which brought the establishment up to 13 airframes, with sea training conducted from RFA Engadine
. 706 Squadron disbanded in Feb 1998 at RNAS Culdrose.