Opened in 1915 on the old Gibraltar racecourse, it became an RAF base after WWI.
Following concern over Italian activity in Abyssinia (Ethiopia) work began on an emergency landing ground to operate in concert with the racecourse, on 3 Sep 1934. It transferred briefly to RN adminstration in Sep 1940 under HMS Cormorant until Aug 1941, when it was handed back to the RAF and by mid Dec 1941 intensive work to enlarge the facility and extend the runway into Gibraltar Bay had begun. Impetus was given by the bombing of Malta and the need to complete a further extension to 1800 yards (ready by Jul 1943) for Operation Torch.
Shortly after the last permanently based RAF unit withdrew, RAF North Front was renamed RAF Gibraltar on 30 Nov 1966 and came under Coastal Command direction. RAF aircraft still stage through and RN Ships Flights often alight here, while the parent ship is visiting the nearby naval base. Between 1982 and 1991, the Royal Navy based a Flight for maritime surveillance of the narrows between here and Tangiers.