84 Squadron was formed on 7 Jan 1917 and from Aug 1920 has spent most of its deployment in the Near, Middle or Far East. Its helicopter operations began briefly at RAF Khormaksar with the Sycamore HR.14 between Dec 1956 and May 1957, when it reverted to a fixed wing transport and communications role, disbanding with Andover C.1s at RAF Muharraq
on 1 Oct 1971. Its present SAR role began when it reformed from the Whirlwind HAR.10 of 1563 Flight
and a detatchment from 230 Squadron
at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus on 17 Jan 1972 and it has been in Cyprus since then.
In 1982, the Whirlwinds were replaced by Wessex HC.2, which together with a detachment at Nicosia, provided distinguished service for over 10 years. B Flight from Nicosia flew its Whilwinds to Akrotiri on 26 Feb 1982 where they were initially stored in Hangar 85
and later moved up near the NAAFI site. The unit was re-equipped with ex-RN Wessex HU.5s between Jun 1984 and Nov 1994, until their retirement in Jan 2003
Although the 84 Squadron SAR tradition continues with Griffin HAR.2s, the airframes are now owned and maintained under contract by FB Heliservices