Originally a landing ground within the boundaries of the Naval Base built in the north of Singapore Island by Britain from 1924. Further work began in 1937 by the British Army, with land acquired from the Bukit Sembawang rubber estate and what was originally planned as an RAF base was transferred to the Admiralty in 1939, before a further transfer to the RAAF
in 1940. With the war in the Pacific going badly, the base was occupied by the Japanese on 15 Feb 1942.
After WWII, it became an RNAS station, known as HMS Nabrock from Oct 1945 until its more famous name of HMS Simbang was applied in Dec 1945. The base was handed over to the RAF
on 16 Jan 1948 and back to the Navy on 16 Jan 1950 as the situation in Korea worsened. When the Korean War ended in July 1953, the base was again drawn down to a smaller size to support the helicopter units of the Fleet Air Arm
engaged in the Malayan Emergency. During March 1961, the Headquarters of 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines
arrived and the site took on the role of Far East Fleet Amphibious Forces Base. It has also been used by the RAF and Army Aviation
. RNAS Sembawang was closed in 1970 and on 29 Oct 1971 it was handed over to the Singapore Air Defence Command, c/o a resident ANZUK force. It became the home of RSAF
rotary wing aviation in 1983.